The first thing you need to do is to determing whether or not you have Windows 8 or Windows RT. Check out this link in the OverDrive help area to determine which version you have. This is important because this determines what app you are able to download.
The Windows 8-native app was designed to allow the same experience on a Windows 8 tablet or computer, as on a mobile device. There are two different versions of the app available, a newer version and an older one.
The previous version of OverDrive Media Console can be installed alongside the new version to allow you to transfer books or enjoy the Windows Media content under Windows 8’s desktop mode.
The Windows Media Player Security Upgrade will require running Internet Explorer 10 as an administrator. In some cases, using IE10’s compatibility mode may also be necessary to make sure the security upgrade can run. When using both versions of OMC on a Windows 8 computer, these are steps to take to make sure the correct format opens in the appropriate version of OMC:
1. Once you’ve found an audiobook or video that you want to check out, save it to your computer instead of opening it. To do that, right-click the Download button, then select ‘Save As,’ or select the Download button, then Save.
2. Once the ODM file has been downloaded, right-click (or swipe down) on it.
3. Select Open With, then choose the right version of OMC:
• WMV titles: Choose OverDrive Media Console. You can also open MP3 titles with this too, if you prefer.
• MP3 titles: Choose OverDrive Media Console for Windows 8.
Once you have both versions installed, you can enjoy OverDrive media in the old style or new.