How do I get a library card?
The San Antonio Public Library Card is your free all access pass to millions of books, DVDs, music downloads and more.
The San Antonio Public Library Card is free for:
- All Bexar County residents
- All individuals that own a business or property in Bexar County
- All City of San Antonio Employees
Getting your library card in person:
- Stop by any San Antonio Public Library Location.
- You need a photo ID and proof of current address – like your driver’s license.
- If your photo ID does not include your current address, you can use something like a utility bill if it includes your current address.
- Children under 18 may be issued cards if accompanied by a parent or guardian with a photo ID and proof of current address.
- For those owning a business or property in Bexar County, a property tax record, an Assumed Name Certificate of Registration or a Sales Tax Permit may be used.
- San Antonio City employees should present their city badge or a current paycheck stub.
Pre-register for your library card online:
- To begin immediately using some of our services, fill out the online registration form.
- Then stop by any San Antonio Public Library location within 30 days, present your photo ID and proof of current address and pick up your library card.
A San Antonio Public Library card allows you to do more than just borrow books and other materials. From your home computer you can use your card to access the Library’s online resources, find magazine articles, research your family tree and even download free digital media – like audiobooks and music.